- Airborne mold spores are everywhere both indoors and outdoors. Resident and employee health is at serious risk
if there are elevated levels of mold spores indoors, as compared to an outdoor mold control test.
- The most dangerous indoor molds are Ascospores, Aspergillus, Chaetomium, Cladosporium, Fusarium, Mucor,
Penicillium, and Stachybotrys. Mold testing and mold laboratory analysis are required to identify specific mold species.
- Mold spores may cause serious health problems even if the spores are dead or dormant
(inactive while waiting for more moisture to resume growth.) Even the smell of dead or dormant mold
can make some mold-sensitive persons ill.
- Indoor mold growth can and should be prevented by controlling moisture levels indoors. If porous and/or organic
materials are wet for more than 24 hours, mold growth can begin.
- Mold grows by destroying organic building materials and other cellulose-based materials such as carpeting,
upholstery, and clothing. The longer that mold grows, the more structural damage can be incurred to the building.
- Cellulose is the main substance in the cell walls of plants (and thus of wood), and it is used in the manufacture of
many organic building materials such as drywall, plasterboard, plywood substitutes, and ceiling tiles, all of which are
common breeding grounds for mold growth when proper moisture and humidity conditions are present.
- Mold can grow hidden and undetected inside wall and ceiling cavities; beneath wallpaper, paneling, and carpeting;
and inside heating and cooling equipment and ducts, attics, crawl spaces, and basements.
Mold growth is often the result of a structural or construction defect, or of maintenance neglect, that allows moisture to
enter a home or building.
The property owner or employer should address any and all water problems (including but not limited to: roof leaks,
plumbing leaks, high indoor humidity etc) that enable mold to grow. Mold remediation should be performed by certified
mold remediation personnel with experience in microbial investigation and abatement.
One common misconception among those experiencing mold growth in their home or property, is that bleach can be
used to effectively kill mold. In reality, using bleach on surface mold will aggravate the spores, making them airborne
to be inhaled, ultimately causing an exacerbated and reoccurring mold problem.